Friday, November 17, 2017

The Writer, Encaustic on wooden cradle

The writer 10x8 Encaustic, mixed media on wooden cradle board  $125

This painting started with the image below which was created with a Gell press using the oil paint that I had remaining from a large oil painting I had done.  I used 24lb bright Hammermill copy paper which was gratefully available at our local office supply store.


I glued the paper to the cradle board.  When the glue was dry I drilled and punched holes into the birch so that I could tie the feather to the board.  The wax would likely hold  the feather but wax is not glue and I wanted a guarantee that the feather wouldn't fall off down the road.

I then tried pouring the encaustic wax onto the board.  This ended up being a make work project.  It was really too thick so I spent the next few days trying to get the right amount of wax off to be able to see the image so that I could work on it.

My last step after using oil paint to infuse my lines was to rub pan pastels colors in areas where I felt the oil colors weren't strong enough to my liking.

Buff it up with a soft cloth and here you are.

Blessings for a creative weekend

Bente

No comments: