Friday, September 11, 2015

Coastline


Coastline 30X36 Oil on Gallery Wrapped Canvas


Day 11 of the 30 day challenge

The top image is Coastline that has been accepted into the Juried Fraser Valley Chapter of The Federation of Canadian Artists.  The Show is going to be held at Place des Arts in Coquitlam.

The bottom image is the same painting when I was about to give up.  I knew the bottom portion needed a darker value and I was to the point of "what have I got to lose?"  I turned the painting upside down.  Added some earth red and some transparent thalo turquoise and I went at it.  Then I turned it the right way up and mixed up some white and medium and went at that.  I knew the top portion was way too busy.

After that the waiting game started. It was quite fascinating to watch.  I knew the turquoise was transparent but when I put it on initially it looked black.  As the days went by the colors underneath started showing through and by day 10 Eric and I looked at each other and were amazed. The color turquoise like the color red is very difficult to photograph so all the nuances of color are not apparent in the photo here.  There are many delightful variations to look at.

The moral of the story is don't give up.
This was a large painting for sure but I was ready to put a knife through it and say "Next?"And look what happened instead.

Blessings everyone

Bente

No comments: